Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Goal 3: Finishing College and Being "INDEPNDANT"

After I finished high school, I went to a college near my hometown called Miami University (in Ohio, not to be confused with the one in Flordia).

At first, I enjoyed my time there. However, as I continued on in gaining my diploma in Zoology, hoping to fullfill my dreams of working in a zoo and eventually being able to travel around the world, studying animals in their natural environment, I found that Miami and I were not quite the best fit as I hoped. As such, I began to hate my classes and eventually, due to this hatred and risiing costs of already one of Ohio's most expensives public colleges, I did not finish my college education as planned in the spring of 2009.

It is now the spring of 2011 and I am now 24. Once one reaches the age of 24, the FAFSA declares that you are "INDEPENDANT" and you do not have to use your parents financial tax information to determine how much money government will give you to help you pay for college. This was also one of the other problems I found that I ran into. Miami was a very expensive school and based on what my parents made, I did not earn a lot of help.

But now I'm "INDEPENDANT" and I am still a poor young adult. I will recieve more money from the governmnet because I don't have a lot of money to begin with.

So today, I journeyed a few miles north of my hometown with my sister and I am following her on one of her days at her college of choice. One that doesn't cost quite as much. As a "DEPENDANT" student, her first year was completely paid for, and then some.

So far, I think that this college and I are going to get along quite nicely. We will see come next fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment